If you use Windows XP Professional then it is possible to squeeze an extra 20% out of your internet connection. By default Windows XP Pro holds back 20% of your Internet speed for various services like windows update and spyware checks.
If you want to tap into this locked speed then make the following changes:
- Go to Start -> Run -> and type gpedit.msc
- Expand the Administrative Templates branch
- Expand the Network tab
- Highlight QoS Packet Scheduler
- Click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth and check the enabled box
- Then Change the Bandwidth limit % to 0 %
Once you have done this click apply and restart your PC. After rebooting you should see a noticeable improvement in your net speed.